Something on your mind? Chat about it here. But first…
- For pregnant mamas: It’s debatable whether maxi dresses are work appropriate, but IMHO if there’s any time you can get away with them, it’s during your pregnancy. This bright, happy cobalt dress looks great — high V, thick straps, and a tie to help with fit — and it’s only $30 at ASOS. ASOS Maternity Exclusive Maxi Dress With V Neck
- For everyone: I’m swooning over this cotton terry jacket, which looks like that rare bird that can go with you to both work and the playground (and then the washing machine). It’s part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (see my top workwear picks here) — it’s currently marked $180, but will go up to $275 after the sale ends on August 4. James Perse Notch Collar Jacket (Nordstrom Exclusive)
- For the mama to kiddos under 45 lbs: the ERGObaby carrier is on a good sale (gray only) as part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. We have and like the Boba 3G, but all of my friends adore the ERGObaby. As part of the sale it is currently marked at $79, but it will go back to $120 after the sale ends. It carries babies from 4 months old to 45 lbs. ERGObaby ‘Original – Starburst’ Baby Carrier (Nordstrom Exclusive)
- For everyone (particularly pregnant/nursing mamas, as a big necklace is one of my favorite ways to draw attention towards the face): I like this happy, unusual carved bead necklace from Kenneth Jay Lane. It was $495, but is now marked to $198 at The Outnet. Kenneth Jay Lane Carved bead and crystal necklace
- For everyone: I’ve been hearing about this gloss for years and finally got some (I got the VERY light colored 101 Nude Provocateur, from the “Rebel Nudes” line). It’s a really unusual product in that it lives up to its name — it stains your lips a slight color, but keeps a glossy appearance — somehow without making your lips sticky. I like that I can kiss my boys without leaving marks, and that I can leave the house on a windy day without having hair-in-lipgloss issues. It’s $35, available at spots like Nordstrom and Sephora. (I’ve only just gotten the drugstore dupe, L’oreal Caresse Wet Shine Lip Stain (made by the same company), and the color of Stubborn Plum is a bit too pink for me to recommend, but the products are VERY similar in feel. The YSL iteration has TONS of colors, though, and you can try before you buy — so it may be worth the $35.) Yves Saint Laurent ‘Rebel Nudes’ Glossy Stain — Mamas, do you have any favorite lip products? Did your picks change after having kids?
Readers — few Qs for you:
- Do you think maxis are work-appropriate (while pregnant) in most business casual offices? Can they be saved with a blazer for a casual day in a more conservative office?
- Which are your favorite lip products when you’re around your kids?
- Random C-Moms Q for you: do you think the Open Thread should go up on Fridays — or Mondays? When do you have more time/want to talk? (Or, some other day?)
- FINALLY: Please don’t forget to take the reader survey, up and running now (and edited slightly after some reader feedback). Some notes from the current survey answers — if this doesn’t sound like you, please take the survey so you’ll be represented!
- Most of you are between 25-34
- with small kids (the vast majority under 2)
- who work mostly outside the home, full-time
- 25% of you have a household income of $200-$299K, and almost 25% of you make $100-$150K personally
- 65% of you have JDs (welcome, lawyas!)
- surprisingly (to me), 35% of you say your fashion choices didn’t change after having kids
- most of you are budget shoppers for your kids
- 80% of you answered that you “never or rarely” comment on Corporette (welcome, lurkers!)
- It looks like the top things you think are “very important” for this blog to cover are: work/life balance, parenting, household management, sales/deals, business casual fashion, and career/job advice